ULAKBİM, with the aim of encouraging the production of academic knowledge in Turkey, enabling widespread access to information services, and providing equal opportunity of access to scientific knowledge on a national scale in accordance with its main mission; has undertaken the task of carrying out of subscription transactions for Electronic Resources National Academic License, pursuant to the decision of TÜBİTAK Scientific Council dated November 19, 2005 and numbered 136.
State Universities, Foundation Universities, Universities in TRNC and Police Academy take place among the institutions that will benefit from this service.
EKUAL Project coverage has been extended to include Ministry of Health Training and Research Hospitals by the decision of TÜBİTAK Scientific Council dated February 11, 2006 and numbered 139. The Project aims at providing equal opportunity for researchers both in universities and hospitals in Turkey, to access to international scientific and academic content; thus stimulating the production of scientific knowledge in Turkey. Considering the key role of information technology in our world, it is clearly seen that investment in information technologies has critical importance for the scientific, technological and economic development of Turkey.
The vast quantity of online academic resources and their high prices have left the libraries confronted with various access and pricing models.
ULAKBİM, being a national center which has the necessary National Academic Network Infrastructure, presents TÜBİTAK ULAKBİM EKUAL Project as a new alternative in subscription to electronic resources for academic libraries, in line with its service policy, missions and objectives.
EKUAL carries out work and interactions for national license agreements with prominent publishers and database producers of the world, to provide efficient and widespread access to electronic information resources for research institutions in our country, and to enhance the production of scientific publications at national and international level.
Electronic databases of academic content, which are important instruments of research and development, essential in increasing the quality of academic research, in developing new information, products, processes, methods and systems, and in enhancing the competitive capacity of Turkey in scientific research at national and international level, comprise the basis of EKUAL Project.
TÜBİTAK ULAKBİM EKUAL – Aims
- to create equality of opportunity in accessing scientific information among research institutions with unequal budgets,
- to help researchers save time by ensuring proper use of databases,
- to enhance the efficiency of research activities nationwide,
- to provide efficient and economical use of the resources of our country,
- to increase the production of scientific publications at national and international scale,
- to increase the competitive power of our country in the field of scientific research.
TÜBİTAK ULAKBİM EKUAL – Coverage
- 104 state universities, 71 foundation universities, 6 universities of TRNC, 54 Training and Research Hospitals, and TÜBİTAK and Institutes; amounting to a number of 251 institutions, take place in EKUAL as of 2014.
- A total of 12 databases, of which 7 being bibliographic and fulltext databases of academic content, 2 evidence based medical databases, and 2 citation indexes, 1 plagiarism detection program covered by TÜBİTAK EKUAL, are available for use, as of January 2014.
- Access to over 16,870 fulltext academic journals, over 70.000.000 bibliographic records, over 990.000 international papers and roughly 2,400 standards is provided nationwide.
- The number of researchers who have been using international databases of academic content within the scope of TÜBİTAK EKUAL Project has amounted to 1.389.393 as of 2011.